AKC GROUP CLASSES
The Canine Good Citizen program was established in 1989 and became an official AKC title on January 1st 2013. The certification is open to all dogs of any breed, including mixed breeds. Pictured is Gator, Michele’s AKC and Trick Dog. Mix breed, adopted from the shelter. AKC I, II and II.
LEVEL 1 – AKC CANINE GOOD CITIZEN
Our Canine Good Citizen Course will help you train your dog the basic obedience commands. You will receive a certificate and title from the American Kennel Club and Train Pawsitive Certificate and AKC Ribbon. Classes run once a week for 6 weeks $200.00. Testing included. Indoor and outdoors.
- Accept a friendly stranger
- Sit politely for petting
- Appearance and grooming
- Sit/Down on both verbal and hand signal
- Walk on a loose leash
- Walk through a crowd
- Sit and down on cue and stay in place 20 + feet
- Come when called from 20 + feet
- Reaction to another dog
- Reaction to distraction
- Supervised separation 3 min.
LEVEL – 2 AKC ADVANCE COMMUNITY CANINE
Outdoor Training & Testing: Open to all dog breeds and mixes. To earn this title, the dog must 1) be registered or listed with AKC (AKC number, PAL, or AKC Canine Partners number – any dog breed or mix) and, 2) already have a Canine Good Citizen award/title on record. Testing included in class. All dogs, including mixed breeds, can get an AKC number. 6 Week class. $200.00 Limited Enrollment. Indoor and Outdoor.
1. Dog stands, sits or lies down and waits under control while the owner
2. Walks on a loose leash in a natural situation (not in a ring)–does not pull.
3. Walks on loose leash through a crowd
4. Dog walks past distraction dogs present; does not pull..
5. Sit–stay in small group (3 other people with dogs).
6. Dog allows person who is carrying something (backpack, computer bag, etc.) to approach and pet it.
7. “Leave it.” Dog walks by food and follows owner instructions, “Leave it.”
8. Down or sit stay–distance (owner’s choice).
9. Recall with distractions present (coming when called). Handler goes out 20–ft. (off center) and calls dog.
Dog is on the 20–ft. line from #8 above.
10. Dog will sit or stand stay (owner’s choice) while owner enters/exits a doorway or narrow passageway. Owner calls dog through door when ready.
Owner may also choose to 1) send the dog through first and have the dog wait for the owner, or 2) the owner may choose to have the dog go through the doorway at the owner’s side. Whichever method is used, the dog must not pull the owner and must be under good control. Think of the handler having the leash in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.
Doorway or gate can be real or simulated with ring gates, two chairs, or a natural passageway (e.g., entrance to trail) in the community.
LEVEL 3 – ADVANCED AKC URBAN DOG
AKC Urban CGC is a title in the Canine Good Citizen family of awards and titles that also include AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy, Canine Good Citizen and AKC Community Canine. AKC Urban CGC requires that the dog demonstrate CGC skills and beyond in an outdoor setting. When test items (such as riding on an elevator) are administered in public buildings. The goal of AKC Urban CGC is to test the dog’s skills in an urban (city) setting outdoors. Testing is included. Call for days/times/locations 239.682.3241 6 Week class. $200.00 Limited Enrollment. (Discounts for Loyalty Members) Indoor and Outdoor training.